Tuesday, August 4, 2015

AG036 American Girl Doll Peplum Skirt Tutorial and Bodysuit Tutorial


I know I got the idea for this AG doll Peplum skirt from 18inchdollclothesz.com/blog but I can’t seem to pin point it now.  I can’t even find a Search button on her Blog!  Anyways, this is what I did.

American Girl Doll Peplum Skirt Tutorial

I cut my pieces as:

Waistband – cut 3.5” w x 13.5” long.  Fold in half.

Ruffle – cut 5” w x 26” long.  Fold in half.

Skirt – cut 4.5” w x 13.5” long.  Press hem ½”.

 
Chalk mark the quarter points of the skirt and ruffle.

Gather ruffle the Nancy Zieman way – I’m using a different skirt to demo this.  Put the fabric under the pressure foot.  Draw up the bobbin thread so it is on top of the piece to be gathered.

Pull the bobbin so it is a bit more than the length of the piece you are gathering – in this case, we want it a bit longer than 26”.

Set your machine to a zigzag and zigzag over the bobbin thread.

When you are done, it should look like this. Notice that the machine zigged on one side of the bobbin thread and zagged on the other side thus leaving our bobbin thread encased.

Now pull the bobbin thread until all the quarter marks match the garment.

Sew the ruffle to the skirt.

Since the waistband is the same length as the skirt, simply sew it on top of the ruffle.

Serge to clean finish seam.

Top stitch about 1/8” away from the ruffle.

Make a 3/8” casing at waistband for elastic.

Feed 10” of ¼” wide elastic through the waistband, secure with pins and sew.

Sew center back seam at ¼”.  Serge for a clean finish. Hem skirt at ½”.

Cotton Bodysuit

 
I used the same body suit pattern for this outfit as I did for AG006, however, I did add about an inch onto the length and an inch onto the side seams as I made these from cotton and added some buttons for decoration.

I cut a lining for the front and back.

Click "Like" on this American Girl Doll Creations by Carole Facebook page to receive updates when new items are introduced AND sign up to my Blog so you won’t miss any of my AG posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...