Friday, January 23, 2015

American Girl Doll Glitter and Satin Dress Tutorial AG019


Newberry is SEARS brand of the 18” doll.  Zoe is one of their Holiday Edition Dolls for 2014 and has come to live with us.  The AG doll clothes fit her just fine.

I had this pretty glitter fabric so went on a hunt for a pattern.  I was excited to see this Simple Ruffle Dress that was free just for signing up to Doll Tag Clothing website.  I had a lot of trouble getting this bodice to fit.  I tried using both cotton and a knit. Neither fit right at all until I added ½” on to the length of the front and back, cut the armholes bigger as they were so tight and added ¼” on to the center back seam, therefore, added ¼” on the center back seam of the skirt also.  I also rounded the neck rather than squaring it as she did – just to make it easier for me.

I cut one bodice front and two bodice backs because I was using a knit.  Hemmed the neck and armholes then sewed the side seams.

Ran a gathering stitch at the skirt waist and hemmed the skirt ½”.

Pinned the bodice to the skirt front with right sides together.

Sew and press seam towards bodice and topstitch.

Attach about 15” of 5/8” wide ribbon to one back seam and insert a ribbon slide.  We will deal with the other end of the ribbon later.

Sew back seam closed about 4.5” from the bottom with ½” seam allowance.  Put the dress on the doll and pin the other end of ribbon fairly tight.

Add Velcro closure.

Put back on the doll and pin the ribbon at the underarms then stitch to hold.

Sew 3 buttons down the front.

A very pretty party dress for the 18” dolls!

Click "Like" on American Girl DollCreations by Carole Facebook page to receive updates when new items are introduced AND sign up to my Blog so you won’t miss any of my doll clothing tutorials!  Ordering info for this outfit can also be found on my FB page if you are interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...